Fragrant Carrot And Raisin Basmati Rice
A sweet colorful rice for Rosh Hashanah.
This Sweet and fragrant basmati rice with carrots and raisins is the perfect vegetarian side dish for any holiday meal. In our house, this is a Rosh Hashanah Favorite. Vegan and Gluten Free.
Our mom used to cook the head of a lamb (unheard of here in America!) as part of our tradition. I remember how every year, our cousin Solly, the only boy in the family, used to grab pieces of meat dangling from the eye socket and chase Ruthy and his sister Vanessa with them. Gross... and hilarious at the same time.
I also remember my dad trying to be all serious doing the prayers, while we all laughed hysterically.
And of course, our mom's wonderful food, especially this Rosh Hashanah Sweet Basmati Rice with Carrots & Raisins. This recipe we're sharing today is one of her "inventions" and happens to be one of my very favorites. And the funny thing is, as delicious as it is, she only made it during the Holidays. Maybe that's what makes it so special.
Food4Thought: Did you know that the Jewish philosopher Maimonides recommended eating up until being 2/3rds full? He would never have recommended that you clean your plate like your grandmother did. Get more Jewish food thoughts here.
Yield: about 4 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups freshly shredded carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati rice
- 5 tablespoons raw slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- In a 3 qt sauté pan, heat oil and cook onions at medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded carrots and continue cooking at medium-low heat for about 7 minutes.
- Add water, salt and raisins and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, slivered almonds in 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Uncover the rice and quickly and gently fluff it up with a fork. Put the lid back on and let it sit, off the heat, for 10 minutes.
- Top with almonds before serving.