4 min read
Tantalizing questions and challenging riddles.
1. In the Book of Ruth, where is the number 10 mentioned? (2 answers)
(1) After Machlon and Kilyon married, they dwelled in the land of Moab for 10 years. (Ruth 1:4)
(2) When Boaz wished to have the fields of Naomi redeemed, he gathered together 10 men. (Ruth 4:2)
2. In the Book of Ruth, where do we find mention of a dress?
Naomi instructed Ruth to visit Boaz at the threshing floor, but first told her to wear a dress. (Ruth 3:3)
3. What generic term for "a person" appears in the Book of Ruth? Where else is this term used to refer to an unknown place?
"Ploni Almoni" is the generic term used to refer to the relative of Naomi who should have redeemed her field and married Ruth. (Ruth 4:1)
When David was running from Shaul he found refuge in the city of Nov. David explained he is on a special mission from the king and that the men have gone to a mekom ploni almoni – “a hidden, secret place.” (1-Samuel 21:3)
4. In the Book of Ruth, in what context is a shoe mentioned?
When Boaz and the redeemer wished to transfer the responsibility of redemption, a shoe was removed in the exchange. (Ruth 4:7)
5. Aside from Naomi, Ruth and Orpah, which 3 other specific women are mentioned in the Book of Ruth?
Ruth is blessed by comparing her to the matriarchs Rachel and Leah, and to Tamar. (Ruth 4:11-12)
6. In the Book of Ruth, who kisses whom? (2 answers)
(1) Naomi kisses her two daughters-in-law before encouraging them to return to their country. (Ruth 1:9)
(2) Orpah kisses Naomi when she decides to return to her land. (Ruth 1:14)
7. In the Book of Ruth, who is referred to as gibor chayil – “A mighty man of valor”? What 4 others in the biblical Prophets are described that way?
In the Book of Ruth, Boaz is called gibor chayil. (Ruth 2:1)
In the Prophets:
8. In the Book of Ruth, who is referred to as aishes chayil – “A woman of valor”? In which other biblical book does this expression appear?
Boaz calls Ruth aishes chayil (Ruth 3:11). This expression also appears in King Solomon's Book of Proverbs 12:4, 31:10.
9. In the Book of Ruth, where do two words appear in a row with the same root (shoresh)? (9 answers)
10. Who mentioned in the Book of Ruth was the grandfather of a High Priest?
Aminadav, an ancestor of King David (Ruth 4:19), was also the father-in-law of Aharon the first High Priest. Aminadav was thus the grandfather of Elazar the second High Priest (Exodus (6:23).
11. In the Book of Ruth, what city is mentioned seven times? Where is this place first mentioned in the Bible?
Beit Lechem is mentioned seven times. Beit Lechem first appears in Parshat Vayishlach as the burial place of the matriarch Rachel (Genesis 35:19).
12. In the Book of Ruth, what event occurs bachatzi halayla – “at midnight”? What other two biblical events occurred at midnight?