Mediterranean Sweet and Sour Chicken
A warm and comforting chicken recipe.
A sweet and sour chicken made with lots of fruit and some apricot jam. The flavors work wonderfully and are particularly warm and comforting.
Food4Thought: Did you know that in Jewish thinking the family dinner table actually has the status of the altar in the ancient Temple and that the food that we serve on it is likened to the offerings that were once made there? Get more Jewish food thoughts here.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50-55 minutes
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs*
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 15 pitted prunes, chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon all fruit apricot jam
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon hot water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
*Note: For a vegan option, use seitan, tempeh or extra firm tofu instead of chicken
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, coat chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rice vinegar. Add spice mix and using your hands, rub it on the chicken until it’s all well coated.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and cook at medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add diced onions and crushed garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add agave nectar and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add prunes, raisins and orange juice.
- In a small bowl, combine apricot jam and hot water and stir until the jam has dissolved. Add to the soup pot.
- Add vegetable broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook at medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.