In many homes it is customary to break the fast of Yom Kippur with a nice bagel, cream cheese and lox. There’s nothing quite as Jewish American as this favorite food. So we took the same concept and made an extra large bagel pizza and topped it just like the classic bagel. Everything seasoning, cream cheese, lox and even capers. This recipe makes 4 bagel pizza doughs, so go ahead and top them as you like.
This fun fusion recipe is best when you want to serve lots of other food too or just want to try something different. Whether for your Yom Kippur break the fast or the next brunch you host, give this bagel pizza a try.
Did you know that the Yom Kippur fast is not sad, but is rather happy and that it’s a “mitzvah” to eat a lot before the fast? Get more Jewish food thoughts here.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 5 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt
- 8 ounces (1 cup) cream cheese
- 5 ounces (150g) smoked salmon
- 3 tablespoons capers
- Sliced red onion
- Fresh dill
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook combine flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well until combined. Knead with mixer or by hand for 10-15 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Working one at a time, form each portion into a tight, even ball, rotating on counter and tucking under and pinching on bottom of ball to seal. Place balls seam side down on a floured baking sheet, spacing evenly apart. Lightly sprinkle dough with some flour and cover baking sheets tightly with plastic.
- Let dough sit for 2-3 hours at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven at 550° with a pizza stone in the middle rack.
- Make everything bagel seasoning by combining sesame seeds, poppy seeds, black sesame seeds, garlic, onion and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface stretch out each dough ball into a 10-inch round.
- Bake each flatbread until golden brown for about 5-8 minutes.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes then spread with cream cheese, sprinkle with bagel seasoning, top with smoked salmon, capers, red onions and fresh dill. Slice and serve!
Note: You can make the flatbreads in advance and top fresh before serving.