Pray for Israel
In response to the alarming situation in Israel, let us intensify our determination to merit the Almighty's help for our brethren in the Holy Land.
Leading rabbis have suggested that we recite the following prayers daily. In the merit of our prayers and our deeds, may we soon see the obliteration of evil in our world and the arrival of the true redeemer, quickly, in our days.
1. A song of ascents. From the depths I have called You, O Lord.
2. O Lord, hearken to my voice; may Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
3. O God, if You keep [a record of] iniquities, O Lord, who will stand?
4. For forgiveness is with You, in order that You be feared.
5. I hoped, O Lord; yea, my soul hoped, and I wait for His word.
6. My soul is to the Lord among those who await the morning, those who await the morning.
7. Israel, hope to the Lord, for kindness is with the Lord and much redemption is with Him.
8. And He will redeem Israel from all their iniquities.
1. A psalm, a song of Asaph.
2. O God, have no silence, do not be silent and do not be still, O God.
3. For behold, Your enemies stir, and those who hate You raise their heads.
4. Against Your people they plot cunningly, and they take counsel against Your protected ones.
5. They said, "Come, let us destroy them from [being] a nation, and the name of Israel will no longer be remembered."
6. For they have taken counsel with one accord; against You they form a pact.
7. The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites.
8. Gebal, Ammon, and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre.
9. Also Assyria joined them; they were the arm of the children of Lot forever.
10. Do to them as [to] Midian; as [to] Sisera, as [to] Jabin in the brook Kishon.
11. They were destroyed in En-Dor; they were [as] dung on the ground.
12. Make them, their nobles, as Oreb and as Zeeb, and as Zebah and as Zalmuna all their princes,
13. Who said, "Let us inherit for ourselves the dwellings of God."
14. My God, make them like thistles, like stubble before the wind.
15. As a fire that burns in a forest and as a flame that burns mountains.
16. So will You pursue them with Your tempest, and with Your whirlwind You will terrify them.
17. Fill their faces with shame, and they will seek Your countenance, O Lord.
18. Let them be ashamed and terrified forever; let them be disgraced and perish.
19. Let them know that You -- Your name alone is the Lord, Most High over all the earth.
1. A maskil of David, when he was in the cave, a prayer.
2. [With] my voice, I cry out to the Lord; [with] my voice, I supplicate the Lord.
3. I pour out before Him my speech; my distress I recite before Him.
4. When my spirit enwraps itself upon me, and You know my path. In whichever way I go, they have hidden a snare for me.
5. Looking to the right, I see that no one recognizes me; escape is lost from me; no one seeks my soul.
6. I cried out to You, O Lord; I said, "You are my refuge, my lot in the land of the living."
7. Hearken to my cry for I have become very low; save me from my pursuers for they have overpowered me.
8. Take my soul out of confinement to give thanks to Your name; because of me the righteous will crown You, because You will recompense me.
He Who blessed our forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob -- may He bless the fighters of the Israel Defense Forces, who stand guard over our land and the cities of our God, from the border of the Lebanon to the desert of Egypt, and from the Great Sea unto the approach of the Aravah, on the land, in the air, and on the sea.
May the Almighty cause the enemies who rise up against us to be struck down before them. May the Holy One, Blessed is He, preserve and rescue our fighters from every trouble and distress and from every plague and illness, and may He send blessing and success in their every endeavor.
May He lead our enemies under our soldiers' sway and may He grant them salvation and crown them with victory. And may there be fulfilled for them the verse: For it is the Lord your God, Who goes with you to battle your enemies for you to save you.
Now let us respond: Amen. (Text courtesy of OU)
Our brothers, the entire family of Israel, who are delivered into distress and captivity, whether they are on sea or dry land -- may the Omnipresent One have mercy on them and remove them from distress to relief, from darkness to light, from subjugation to redemption, now, speedily, and soon -- and let us say: Amen.
The names of the three Israeli soldiers being held captive are:
Ehud Ben Malka (in Lebanon)
Eldad Ben Tova (in Lebanon)
Gilad Ben Aviva (in Gaza)