5-Ingredient Recipes for Summer.
Fast, easy and delicious recipes that use tops 5 ingredients tops.
In my new 5-Ingredient column, my goal is to share with YOU exactly how I cook. My most popular cookbook QUICK & KOSHER Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing features glimpses into the story that is my life and my penchant for feeding my family, fast. Almost a decade later, my style hasn’t changed. My life has only gotten busier, my cooking faster, and my ingredients fewer.
Keep cool this summer with my Red Apple Smoothie, try a lighter take on Jewish penicillin with Avgolemono Soup, enJOY a lovely summer lunch with Blueberry, Peach and Goat Cheese Quesadillas and my Sweet Trail Mix is a handy snack for family summer travels.
RED APPLE SMOOTHIE
Refreshing and fruity and non-dairy this Red Apple Smoothie is really perfect anytime of year.
- 3 medium red delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 cup orange juice
- 3 cup ice
- 1 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for about 5 minutes or until completely smooth. Divide between 4 glasses and serve immediately.
SWEET TRAIL MIX
You can easily make this trail mix pareve by using non-dairy chocolate.
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M candies
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup roasted unsalted cashews
In a medium bowl combine peanuts, chocolate chips, M&Ms, raisins and cashews. Toss together and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
This easy, bright, and refreshing Avgolemono chicken soup, a Greek favorite, can be made from ingredients you usually have on hand.
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 3 lemons (about 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
1. Place chicken stock in a 5- to 6-quart soup pot. Bring to a boil.
2. Add rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. When rice is cooked, remove pot from heat.
4. Place eggs in a bowl and beat well. Beat in lemon juice.
5. While continuing to beat eggs vigorously, ladle out about 1 cup of chicken stock and beat it into the eggs. Pour egg and stock mixture back into the pot.
6. Return pot to heat and stir while stock thickens, but do not let it boil. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Watch the video on how to make Avgolemono soup by Jamie Geller
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014
BLUEBERRY AND CHEESE QUESADILLAS
My Blueberry and Cheese Quesadillas make for a lovely summer lunch. Filled with blueberries, sliced peaches, goat cheese, red onion and thyme you can savor them warm or at room temp. In Israel (or anywhere else for that matter) you can skip the blueberries and instead add sliced plums, strawberries or even pitted cherries.
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 1 peach, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Cooking Spray
- Lay out tortillas on a work surface. Layer blueberries, peaches, goat cheese and thyme over half of each tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla over filling.
- Spray a large sauté pan with cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium heat until hot.
- Place two quesadillas, side by side, in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted, being careful not to burn. Transfer quesadillas to a cutting board. Cook remaining two quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into three wedges.
Source: Quick & Kosher: Meals in Minutes by JAMIE GELLER