Rich, Hearty Soups.
Warming soups for a cold winter’s day.
Wherever you are right now, there’s a good chance it’s cold – and either snowing or raining. These hearty soups are the perfect thing at the dark end of a winter’s day. The first one is my particular favorite. For more great soup and other recipes, please visit www.gourmetkoshercooking.com.
Mushroom Barley Soup with Flanken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms, wild and regular (it will work with just regular if you like)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 to 4 pounds flanken (short ribs)
- 4 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons beef broth powder
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1-3/4 cup barley
- 1 (15 oz) canned crushed tomatoes
In a large stock pot heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté for about 15 minutes. Add celery and garlic and continue to sauté a few minutes longer. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and let simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Beef and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 pound ground beef or stew meat, cut into small chunks
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken stock
- 2 cups non-dairy creamer
- 1 (15 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 box long grain and wild rice, spice package discarded
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté meat, celery, carrots and onion in oil until meat is no longer pink. Drain off oil and fat. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Lentil Soup with Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups (about 11 ounces) lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Heat the oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pot. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the bowl to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add the lentils. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.