Passover Slow Cooker Desserts for These Crazy Times
Select recipes from Pesach While You Sleep…The Easy Way to Cook Ahead for Yom Tov
The world is upside down, we are confined to our homes, and yet Passover is around the corner. I am hoping that the release of the newly expanded edition of my book, Pesach While You Sleep…The Easy Way to Cook Ahead for Yom Tov will help us stay calm, creative and flexible to make Passover where we are, with what we have. This edition has even more recipes and tips.
Here are a few treats that can be made ahead in a slow cooker to help you get a head start in filling your freezer!
Slow Cooker Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Excerpt from Pesach While You Sleep [Expanded Edition, March 2020 ]
(inspired from recipe on back of Blue Diamond almond flour)
Tastes like the real thing! Crusty on the outside, chewy and chocolatey inside. (Use the same batter to make cookies when you are able to use your oven.) Yields about 18 squares or 28 cookies.
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2.5 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
Line slow cooker with a small oval of parchment paper to cover the bottom and up the sides about an inch. Mix ingredients, starting with oil and sugars. Pour batter carefully into slow cooker. Close lid and cook on low for 2 hours. Edges will begin to brown. Remove lid and cook another 30-40 minutes with the lid off, which will result in a crispy top. Remove the “cake” by lifting out the whole thing by holding onto the parchment paper. Cool on cooling rack before slicing into squares! These are amazing just out of the freezer, too!
Optional: add ¼ cup cocoa to the batter for “chocolate-chocolate chip.”
This can be made in either an oval shaped slow cooker or a rectangular one, but the center will be a little gooier than the edges. Yum…
Optional: don’t cook it in the slow cooker. Just prep the dough into balls before Pesach and pull the dough out of the freezer to defrost for about 20 minutes. Bake at 350 for 11 minutes.
Slow cooker Almond Brownie Bars
- ½ cup oil
- 4 oz chocolate chips (to melt with oil)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (ground blanched almonds)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped almonds(or any other nut, if desired)
Put oil and first bit of chocolate chips into slow cooker, lined with parchment paper, on low for 5-10 min. In the meantime, mix sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Add mixture to the slow cooker. Add almond flour, then chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Cook on low for 3 hours, open lid for another 20 min. Lift out and cool before slicing.
**To bake in oven: bake in a 9x13 pan at 350 for 19 minutes.
Mock PB-cup Chocolate Squares
I am never sure what to really call these, but by the time we figure it out…they’re gone!
This is a simple non-bake freeze-ahead dessert that is very popular and you may use the slow cooker to melt the chocolate. No baking!
(Almond butter adapted/inspired from part of a Chanie Nayman recipe in Family First)
For the ‘bottom’: Blend together (in food processor or even just by hand):
- 1 cup almond meal (or any nut meal- not peanuts if you are Ashkenazi, they are kitniyos!)
- 2 TB oil
- 4 TB honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 TB Confectioner’s sugar (optional, and add later)
For the ‘top’:
- 1 9oz bag chocolate chips (melted)
1) Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (you don’t use it for baking, only for spreading)
2) Add 1-2 TB confectioner’s sugar to almond butter mixture. Shmear onto cookie sheet.
3) Melt 1 9oz bag of chocolate chips in slow cooker for about 10 min (if using a pot, on medium, for just a few minutes till barely melted). Mix. Add chocolate on top of almond butter.
4) Freeze the whole sheet for 30 minutes, then cut into squares. Keep frozen until a few minutes before serving! These go quickly!