Lavish Lag B’Omer Buffet.
Delightful salads to accompany your favorite BBQ meat, chicken or turkey.
Celebrate Lag B’Omer with a lavish buffet brunch or a supper BBQ. Here are some delightful salads to accompany your favorite BBQ meat, chicken or turkey.
Layered Summer Salad
Enjoy a serving of this colorful salad with a serving of your favorite grilled meat at your Lag B’Omer get-together
- 4 cups tightly packed torn romaine lettuce
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushroom sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced, separated into rings
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed, drained
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup of your favorite vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chickpeas or your favorite bean
- 3 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 1 cup Israeli salad (chopped tomatoes, red peppers and cucumbers)
- Salt and
- Pepper to taste
Layer lettuce, sliced eggs, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and peas in 3-qt. bowl.
Mix mayo, vinaigrette and basil until blended; spread over salad. Refrigerate 5 hours.
Top with remaining eggs and Israeli salad just before serving.
Preparation 15 minutes
Colorful Quinoa salad
Quinoa seems to be the buzz word these days. Everywhere quinoa is touted as the miracle grain that is nutritious and delicious.
- 1 cup quinoa , uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth or homemade chicken soup
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (12 fl oz/341 mL) corn drained
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup Italian dressing
Bring quinoa and broth to boil in medium saucepan; cover. Simmer on low heat 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed; spoon into medium bowl. Cool.
Add remaining ingredients just before serving; mix lightly.
Preparation 15 minutes
Twirled Pasta Salad
Pasta is always a winner at any gathering. It is a favorite especially with children as well as with adults.
- 4 cups wheel pasta, uncooked
- 1 can (19 fl oz/540 mL) black beans , rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn , thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 2 green onions’s thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning mix
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime or lemon juice
- ½ Tbs prepared mustard
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro (optional)
Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Place in large bowl.
Add next 4 ingredients; mix lightly.
Mix dressing, seasoning mix and lime juice. Add to salad; toss to coat.
Preparation 20 minutes
Creamy Cauliflower Salad
Sesame and cauliflower combine perfectly for a healthy option to your picnic – this salad is easy to prepare and will leave you enough time to enjoy the company.
- 5 Tbs reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, (optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups frozen cauliflower florets,
- 3 cups chopped heart of romaine
- 1 tart-sweet red apple, chopped
Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, sesame seeds (if using) and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add cauliflower, romaine and apple; toss to coat. Allow to thaw for 1 hour until flavors all meld.
Preparation 15 minutes
Serves 4- 6
Simple Barbequed or Broiled Mango
Broiling fruit brings out its inherent sweetness. A squeeze of tart lime juice balances it out making for a refreshingly delightful dessert. Try this technique with pineapple, peaches or other summer fruits for variety.
- 4 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 limes cut in wedges
Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
Arrange mango slices in a single layer in the prepared pan. Broil until browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Squeeze lime wedges over the broiled mango and serve. Feel free to use your grill to broil this dessert
Preparation: 10 minutes
Treat your guest to a crunchy snack. Your favorite bite size cereal, pretzels and roasted almonds coated in bittersweet chocolate make an addictive sweet-salty nosh that can be enjoyed anytime.
- 2 cup Corn / Rice Chex or favorite cereal,
- 2 cup pretzel sticks, broken in half;
- ½ cup salted roasted almonds,
- 6 squares bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
Combine favorite cereal, pretzels and almonds in a medium bowl. Melt chocolate for 3 minutes in microwave bowl, or on a double boiler pan. Drizzle melted chocolate over cereal mixture ; stir to combine. Spread the mixture on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
Preparation 10 minutes + refrigeration time
No-Oven Peanut Butter Squares
- ½ cup trans fat free margarine
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup Honey Graham cookies crushed lightly
- 1 cup smooth peanut or almond butter (For a crunchy treat, prepare using crunchy Peanut/almond butter).
- 12 squares (12 oz.) Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate
Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides.
Microwave Transfat free margarine in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 45 seconds or until melted. Add sugar, Graham crumbs and peanut butter; mix well. Spread onto bottom of prepared pan.
MELT chocolate as directed on package; spread over mixture. Cool. Cut partially through dessert to mark 48 squares. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting into squares.
Preparation 10 min
Makes 48 servings, 2 squares (26 g) each