17. Deeds of the Ancestors Foretell
Seeing a replay of the Jacob period of Jewish history in our time.
Understanding Judaism, p. 319-331
(1) What is the simple meaning of Ma'aseh Avot Siman L'Banim?
(2) What does Rabbi Blech suggest is the deeper meaning of Ma'aseh Avot Siman L'Banim?
(3) How are the lives of our ancestors linked to the history of the Jewish people who came after them?
(4) Give an example of Abraham's role in Ma'aseh Avot Siman L'Banim.
(5) Give an example of Isaac's role in Ma'aseh Avot Siman L'Banim.
(6) What does 'Yaakov' (Jacob) mean, and what is his role in contemporary history?
(7) What event caused Jacob's name to be changed? What was his name changed to?
(8) What mitzvah do we learn from Jacob's battle?
(9) How does Rabbi Blech link the story that brought about Jacob's name change to contemporary history and the foundation of the State of Israel?
(10) The song Chad Gadya ("One Kid") concludes the Passover Seder. What does this prayer come to teach us? How does Rabbi Blech show that this story hints to our generation being the beginnings of Messianic Era?