16. Are We Close to the Messianic Era?
This world has a warranty, destined to expire.
Source 2: Length of the World's Existence
(Talmud – Sanhedrin 97a, Rosh Hashana 31a, Avoda Zara 9a)
"Six thousand years shall the world exist..."
(1) Look at Source 1. Which of the 13 Principles of Faith refers to the coming of the Messiah?
(2) When do we begin counting the Jewish calendar? What does Rosh Hashana commemorate?
(3) Read Source 2. We are taught that each day of creation represents 1,000 years. What will happen after we reach the year 6000?
(4) Why is the belief in the imminent arrival of the Messiah more relevant to us today than in previous generations?
(5) What are the three views of history? What is the Jewish view?